Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Why Plagiarize?

I don’t have much experience with plagiarism, well, with the intentional kind. Accidents happen. Intentional plagiarism is something that I cannot relate to.
People who steal other people’s work – why would they do it? Maybe they are afraid they can’t do a good job on their own. Wouldn’t that be evidence of low self-respect? Maybe they waited too long to do an assignment, and now they have to come up with SOMETHING or admit blowing it. Wouldn’t it be easier to just ask for more time?

Some people have suggested that people plagiarize for the thrill. That I can’t understand.

I never liked breaking the rules. I preferred doing my own work. I enjoyed it, and I liked knowing that I did it myself, and didn’t need to lean on someone else for help. Besides, I needed the peace. I’m the oldest of nine kids, and peace of conscience was the only kind of peace I could get.

I know that is not a popular attitude. I don’t care. I’m older, and I’m opinionated. Actually, I’ve seen what thrill-seeking ends up doing to people, and I don’t want it. There are many things I don’t want.

I don’t want to waste time. There are too many fun things to do to waste time on stupid things like plagiarism. Why would I spend hundreds of dollars to take a class, and a couple more to buy the textbook, then waste it all by “borrowing” a term paper? I’d rather spend the time it takes to do it right, and then move on.

I don’t want to repeat the mistakes of one of my parents. One of them has tried to be a thrill seeker, and has lost everything of value in that person’s life. I don’t want to let that mistake spill over into my children’s lives, and into future generations. It has gone on long enough. It stops here.

There are also many things I do want. I want to continue spending time with my family. No, they aren’t perfect people. My family is not “normal,” but it functions well. My husband is kind and supportive and GORGEOUS! My children are learning and growing and generally happy. Yes, many of my children are autistic and obsessed with Pokémon, and strangely unaware of personal hygiene, but they are becoming amazing people.

I want to write. I enjoy creating something new with the pen or the computer, something that expresses a feeling or an idea. I love finding ways to express those things in my own style. I love writing poetry and short stories and love notes and silly birthday cards. I want to teach that love of writing to others.

I want to continue to study and learn new things. I love going to school! The fatigue, the stress, the crazed scramble at finals week to get that last assignment in, they are all worth it. That feeling that comes when I say, “I did it!” is something that cannot be duplicated. It’s my kind of thrill-seeking.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home