Saturday, November 28, 2009

Oy vey

The videos made me feel anxious and uncomfortable. Sometimes I feel like I am on the same side as the bearded professors who are confused about this technological world in which we live in. I feel a little out of the loop with my generation's fascinations. Perhaps I simply fear change like the rest of the oldies.

I believe in improving ourselves as a race...I very strongly believe in our evolving...But I suppose it just feels as though we are evolving in the wrong direction. We fuse bridges between each other with instant communication, yet we don't remember how to communicate with each other in-person. 70% of communication is non-verbal, and I feel like this language and our connections with each other are disintegrating ...the edges are fraying. The reason for such a decline in intellectual conversation? Convenience. Laziness. Convenience is the cancer. I DO NOT SEE EVOLUTION.

I see this generation sitting on their McDonald's-padded tushes and watching the world through a glass screen.

To get back to the point.As far as universities go, I don't see a clear answer. On the traditionalist university hand, we cannot communicate because the communication is one-sided. On the other “hand of the future,” the communication is faceless. I don't agree with either possibility and I cannot see an answer. Everyone learns differently, and I can understand many (especially those birthed into technology-land) benefiting from an online or hybrid university...but not I.

I am willing to adapt to these "improvements," but I am apprehensive. I become so frustrated with technology, and the strange communication that, in my eyes, is lacking the connection I feel during in-person conversation. It is that connection that I feel I need in a classroom setting. Traditional-lecture university setting, and at-home-communicating-via-internet university setting both seem fairly ineffective to me.

I have not the answers. I am young and naive and I just need some time to better understand my rapidly changing world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home