Thursday, December 03, 2009

Those Videos were rather nice...

Well, as I watched the videos today, it occurred to me that I have no recollection about the topics that we discussed in class that led to the posting of these videos, so right now I am racking my brain trying to figure out what the discussions were on and how that links to the videos I just watched. The first thing that intrigued me during the videos was the music. I quite enjoyed listening to it. I should probably figure out who the artist was so that I can listen to those groovy tunes on a daily basis.

Anywho, at the end of the first video I think that I recalled enough information from our class discussion that the videos started making sense. The end of the first one brought up that with technology we need rethink governance, authorship, ownership, and all that jazz. It is quite amazing where we have come in the last few years. In school we still follow the same rules that we’ve been following for ages. The problem is that the game has changed. You can’t use the same rules in new game. The rules have to be reinvented and redefined. With the internet and the sharing that goes on in our society, the rules of citing, ownership, etc. have to be rethought. We’re moving towards a time when the rising generations have a drastically different view of what is right and what is wrong. They’re growing up in a time when everything is for free and can be obtained with a few clicks of a mouse.

The second video was quite an enjoyable spectacle as well. Is the old system still what we need? The mindset of education is ever changing. Online universities are creeping up all over the place and are becoming more and more popular. They serve an ever changing student population and work better for many people. Are we just going to shun this style of learning and state that the only way to do something is the way it has always been done? Too many casualties could be claimed if we have this mindset. I’m not saying that the current system is wrong and that it has to be changed. I quite enjoy the way I am receiving my education. But, if we don’t experiment and try new things, how will we ever now if there is a better way of doing things? How many missed opportunities for growth there could be if we refuse to try something new.
Looking back on history, one can see how many great things were accomplished be breaking the mould. By trying something new. As new ideas emerge we need to make sure that our first impressions don’t overrule logic. An open mind can be a great thing. We’ll never know what could have been unless we take every opportunity to experiment. Sure, we may find things out the hard way and fail. But so what. We can take courage in the words of Maury from Zoolander: if we fall off the horse, we can back on…even if we’re not gymnasts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home