Saturday, December 05, 2009

Double Dipping!

So I’m going to do a double-whammy here since I didn’t get a chance (or remember…) to look at the videos until about 10 minutes ago.
First, those videos are quite interesting. I have a feeling that they are supposed to have a sort of doomsday-ish feel to them ,but I am so used to the fact of all those things around me may have lessened their potential impact. With the one with the students, I did think it was crazy that they were packing 26.5 hours of stuff into one day. When I think about it, I’m probably doing the same myself. The crazy thing was that they didn’t even mention social stuff like parties or just hanging out. I suppose that may be where the multi-tasking thing comes in. With the one about the website, it is kind of mind-boggling to think that all of this information is out there and able to be moved and used in such a way. The funny thing is, I had no idea that the internet/web had even “evolved” like it had until I watched the video. I was born/grew up in the generation where computers had already been made popular and were increasingly used and owned by everyone I knew. By the time I was in like third grade or so, you were weird if you didn’t have a computer with the Internet. You were even weirder if you didn’t have a computer at all. I think growing up and being a student during this explosion of information and such has really had a way of taking realistic and worldwide things and compartmentalizing them into blurbs and blogs. The pro of something like that is that I am able to learn about the world and everything that’s going on in it, as well as talk to my sister in Holland on a regular basis—even daily if I wanted to. The con of that is also that, while it brings all the death, destruction, corruption, and craziness into my home or library, I feel less and less attachment to the world because of it. I think that, even though all of these things are reported, it still is not the same as being physically there, and that is what all this marvelous technology is helping us to forget.
The other thing that I thought was interesting about the video with the students is how many students showed that they felt more like a number or statistic than an actual individual. I don’t particularly know how this feels since most of my classes haven’t had more than 50 to 60 students in them, and nearly every one of my professors (even the ones I’ve despised) have taken an effort to learn every person in the class by name. Of course, this may also be because of the fields I’m going into, most especially my Minor (music). The thing about the music program is that you not only have to go to specific classes and learn all this jazz (no pun intended. Especially since I’ve never really learned jazz), is that you have to get to know one another and create ensembleship. Your professors work with you specifically and get to know you pretty well (especially when, as is my case every once in a while, you are having a terrible day and it reflects in your playing). Anyway, I just thought that those videos certainly served their thought-provoking purpose.
Whew! Taking a breath and switching gears.
The essay really wasn’t too bad. As nearly everyone else said in their advice to those who are going to write it, DO NOT PROCRASTINATE! I was thankful that I got all my sources one or two at a time because they were less of a big pile and were really helpful as well.
Mostly I’m just totally psyched that I got an A on mine (sorry, I don’t know if we’re allowed to brag about that or not….but oh well!)
Anyway, I think that, above all, you should pick a topic that you feel you have a lot to say about. Apart from helping you fill the number of pages you want and whatnot, you’ll also have more motivation to do the paper and research all the stuff you need to. When I was first looking for sources for my paper, I never knew all the different facets and factors that dealt with it. I spent nearly half of my paper talking about controversies that had been started by other controversies and concluded with how there was no definite conclusion to them all (of course, they were all trying to define language using language…yeah, pretty futile) but I loved everything about it. I think I have morphed into a true English major. Which is saying a lot because when I first started college I absolutely hated that there was no definite answer to anything we talked about. Seriously, I remember complaining to my older sister (who had been in college for three years by the time I started) about it and her just nodding and feeling the same way. Anyway! Tangent!
To make a long story short (too late, I know)—steal the slogan from Nike and JUST DO IT! You won’t want to, unless you’re crazy about tons of homework, but you should anyway. :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home