Friday, October 16, 2009

She said that he said that I said something ambiguous.

A ten page paper in which I don't get to include my completely unsupported arguments just to take up space? This is a type of paper that i am not at all familiar with. Taking that into consideration, i really should pick a topic that is fairly well documented. As i understand it, the whole point of this paper is to reiterate the ideas, problems, and benefits of the chosen topic. Just about the worst thing i can imagine is choosing a topic such as "the relationship between tutoring and fishing," for which there is little, if any, reference material. I want to have as much to regurgitate as is humanly possible.

There is another important factor to consider in choosing the topic: how applicable will it be? I am going to be attending the Writing Conference next year in February, so choosing a topic that can fill both criteria would be very advantageous. This is somewhat reminiscent of my thought process in deciding what to research and write about: Engaging reluctant writers. This is, of course a very broad topic, which is what I intended. A narrow topic would be hard to research due to lack of material. A broad topic, however, presents the exact opposite problem- an overload of information.

The trick then, will be organization. I haven't quite figured this out yet, but if I narrow my essay to specific problems, ideas, or benefits, it will be much easier to acquire the information I need. Perhaps I can start with a general introduction to the problem, namely, getting student writers involved in the tutoring session. Following that would be a discussion about the various problems that student writers may face during a tutoring session. Then I could proceed to discuss the current methods and tutoring strategies available to alleviate the situation.

Tutoring is a dynamic and multi-faceted challenge which requires an able and versatile mind to master its intricate methods. Well, I don't really want to get off on a tangent here. My current topic for the MLA bibliographic essay: Engaging Reluctant Writers.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home