Wednesday, October 14, 2009

It'll come to me...someday

So...what am I planning on writing the bibliographic essay on?

Something.

I'm not too sure what, but I know it will be about something! Something concerning the Writing Center! More or less.

One particular something that I thought would be interesting would be looking up information on the topic of the development of the Writing Center's goal--to better the students or to better the paper. Has it always been like that? According to the essays we've read in class, definitely not, and thus an idea! Or an epiphany? Yeah, that word sounds more sophisticated.

In relation to that topic of consideration though, I'm not all to sure how to word it or approach it. A history of the development of the Writing Center's purpose? The comparing and contrasting of what professors, students, and tutors view as the Writing Center's purpose? Or maybe should I just throw my lot in and go big with "the Writing Center's purpose?"

Oh well. I'll figure it out in time. I bet someone in a past class has posted a blog entry about this topic somewhere. Now I just need to find it.

If not, then the back up plan is something that I know can rack up some good sources--online tutoring versus face to face tutoring. Is it any better than dropping off the paper and coming to pick it up later? Even with the real time chat room, will the tutoring session still suffer with the lack of body language and tone? True, there can always be voice chat, and sometimes maybe even body language, but with this technology still something that is not as household item as a TV or headphones, would tutoring sessions as a whole suffer from this lack of communication?

True, words are pretty much what people think of with communication. But a great chunk of communication comes from body language and tone--something that is devastatingly missing from online tutoring sessions, whether in real time, video chat, voice chat, or all three.

Sounds complicated. Maybe the whole "Writing Center's purpose" idea might be the best way out after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home