Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I'm on the ball, finally, with a topic

I decided on the first day of class, after finding out I had to write a whopping fifteen pages for the bibliographic essay, I would begin right away. After I got over the initial shock of fifteen pages, I calmed down and firmly told myself I would write this monster of a paper now instead of waiting until Thanksgiving break to start thinking about it. Unfortunately, as I should have guessed, this did not happen. Here we are about halfway done with the semester, almost three months after deciding to start right away, and I do not have a topic in mind. I need to start looking at balls I would like to buy. Once I find a ball that looks interesting to me, I will consider buying it. When I finally pick out a ball I will start to look at the ball. After staring at the ball for several hours, if not days, I will proceed to get on in.

Topic ideas, topic ideas, topic ideas.

Too bad this paper is not one of those magical papers where the assigned topic is whatever I want. Those are the best. I would be more than happy to write a fifteen-page paper on The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, or even Twilight. The Twilight paper would be full of so much hatred it would make every teen bopper cry like a little child. Man, Twilight sucks.

Ok this has gone on long enough. It is time to sit down and buy a ball. Hmm… What in the writing center interests me enough to write about for fifteen pages? Oh! I found my ball! Hooray! Face to face sessions as opposed to online tutoring. Online tutoring was invented by Satan himself. This is a fact. I looked it up. Seriously. I am not kidding. The Devil is the person who came up with the idea. What other sinister being could come up with such a horrible thing? I cannot think of anyone else. Hitler is a close second, but he died a little bit before computers really hit their stride. So, Hitler is out. Satan is back in.

Yes, my paper will be on the differing opinions on online tutoring versus tutoring face to face. When it comes to online tutoring I will go over any type. Live session or OWL, it does not concern me. The entire online tutoring genre will be covered. The reason I say that online was thought of by Satan, aside from it being true, is because online tutoring sessions are a lot more difficult to handle. It is hard to articulate well thought up responses that are clear and will help the student to become a better writer. The one time I had a online live tutoring session it was no all that beneficial. The student’s response to everything was either, “cool” or “sounds good.” He did not offer any suggestions of his own. The session was very unproductive. Tutoring face to face is much better, and a lot more can be accomplished in a shorter amount of time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home