Monday, August 31, 2009

Tutoring Worries?

I personally don't have any major worries/concerns about tutoring. It's my students that need to worry. LOL! I consider myself very laid back, so students don't need to act a certain way around me. One thing that I try to build is trust. I believe trust is important when it comes to one-on-one tutoring. I do one-on-one tutoring for the most part and I enjoy it very much. I like building that relationship with the student. In due time, trust begins to build.

Trust can also be a bad thing. There have been countless times when I have had students come to me and basically ask me to rewrite their paper for them. They assume that I'd be OK with it since I enjoy English so much. They're wrong! LOL! They are not learning anything by me doing the rewrite obviously, so I tell them that I can't do that for them. But I do tell them what I can do is show them what we may need to consider taking a deeper look into. My goal is to let them see why they should take a look at this, etc.

OK, maybe there is one major thing that I am concerned about. Sometimes, I am asked by students to help them with their papers as far as grammatical errors. They only ask me to help them with that and that only, so I read their paper without being over concerned with the subject of the paper. But as I read these papers, I notice that what they are saying is not making any sense. There is no clear thesis statement, It's very opinionated when it's not suppose to be. The paper is basically all over the place! My dilemma: sometimes I want to help them and show them how to improve their work. But then again, I was just asked to help out with grammar. I don't want to be a pushy tutor and make them rewrite it like I would. But at the same time, I want the student to learn and I don't want their professor to give them a bad grade. It's tough.

I would say it's more of a moral dilemma when it comes to the subject that I was just blogging about. I do feel bad. But I'm sure it happens to all of us. I am not concerned about having the student come back to me and say that his/her professor gave him/her a bad grade because it was not a very good paper. I have never had that happen to me but I'm sure it will at some point. If they only want me to check grammar then that's what I'll do and that's it. I will not be the student's back up plan when it comes to his or her English class.

Tutoring is a lot of fun for me. I enjoy sitting down and helping a fellow student with his or her questions. I'm sure there are plenty of other issues that I just can't think of right now. I'm interesed in learning about them throughout this semester. One thing I must admit I will need to learn more about is tutuoring, what I call, "the everyday student." As I mentioned, I usually do one-on-one tutoring. I usually know my students. If they are new, I build a trust with them as time goes on. I don't have experience in a tutoring lab. I don't usually deal with students who just come in once and leave. That'll be something new this semester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home