Monday, September 24, 2007

Today, Disney songs are stuck in my head...

What’s on my mind right now? How can Cameron come up with numerous different names of countries and each one have their own flag? It’s simply mind-boggling how creative he is!

Also, I’m thinking how I might want to move to another computer, because there seems to be a draft centered on this one, and I’m already pretty damp from the weather… but I probably won’t.

But overall, the simple college-life stresses, that everyone has been talking about, is really what’s on my mind. I’m taking 18 credits, working 12 hours a week and still trying to keep my parents happy by having a fairly active social life. Then, I have my personal goals. For example, I took an Introduction to Literature class the Spring 2007 semester and realized that while I have read a good deal, I haven’t read most of the more important classics by Chopin, Fitzgerald, Hemmingway and Austen. So I decided that I’d spend the summer catching up. I did read a bit. I read The Odyssey, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Jane Eyre, and Northanger Abbey among some silly summer romance books. But I’ve started to get back on track! For serious this time! I have a book with me at all times to read while waiting for the bus, on the bus, or waiting for class to start. Right now, it’s Emma by Jane Austen.

Academics aren’t the only thing stressing me out, though. I’m only a month into the semester, and I’m already suffering from homesickness. I’m living alone this year because my brother moved out last year and no one really wants to move in for a year, and then have to move out. Living alone has it’s advantages: TV time whenever, washing machine is always available, and I never have to worry about going downstairs in my PJs and finding that my brother invited a fairly good looking friend over to stay the night. Great memories. But living alone can be scary and insanely quiet. You’d think absolute silence would be wonderful for studying, but it’s absolutely dreadful! I’ll be reading and my thoughts will wander “I really should be doing my laundry right now. Do I have clothes upstairs that need to be brought down? I probably need detergent. Oh yeah, I need to grab some groceries, too. What am I going to eat tonight? Should I do my shopping tonight and make dinner? Or should I wait ‘til tomorrow and get take out tonight? “ I’ll eventually get to the bottom of the page and not know a single thing I read.

Then, I’m having a problem with sleeping. Weird, I know, but I tend to have really bad nightmares in Utah. Only in Utah. They’ll be so bad that I don’t want to sleep. But I’ve found that if I go long enough without sleep, I’ll be so dead tired that I won’t dream—or at least remember my dreams. So, during the day, along with lists of things I need to do for church, school, and work, my mind is somewhat like the Chicago beer guys from Saturday Night Live. Except, instead of always thinking “The Bulls, the bulls” or “The bears, the bears”, I’m thinking “Sleep. Sleep. Sleep.”

That’s basically it. The disturbing thoughts of one Miss Kathryn Higgs.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad. I had a day once where I had Beach Boys songs stuck in my head. What a nightmare that was.

1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home