Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Writing Essays

Ever since I was a young boy, I’ve always absolutely loved to write. I can remember sitting at my desk at school for hours on end and day-dream about story plots and character descriptions. In my early education, the teachers would have to come up to my desk repeatedly and awake me from my thoughts.

As I grew older and the demands that were placed upon me by the education system grew more detailed and intensive, all the hard work that I had done as a child simply as a hobby turned into an advantage for me. My love for writing blossomed into doing well in my classes, particularly those classes that pertained to writing skills, especially in history and in English, which I would later earn my Bachelor of Science degrees in here at Weber State University and would lead me into pursuing an MA in English as well.

In seventh grade, my family and I decided to take a different educational route than the “normal” public schooling road and decided to give home schooling a try. This was probably the best decision that I could have made, as far as pursuing an education goes. Home schooling, by its very nature, allows the student and the parents as the educators to explore the child’s academic strengths as well as their weaknesses and it also allows them the opportunity to take the time to strengthen the weaker subjects. It also allows the student to take the time to use his or her strengths and gives them the freedom to use these strengths and find out just how far they can take them.

For me, my mother was very instrumental in helping me to become the writer that I am today. I never really had a “fog” that needed to be lifted (at least when it came to writing and essays, however, Math is a WHOLE different story). I think that my love for writing and my talent as a writer is simply a gift that God has blessed me with and I enjoy using it, even for writing essays in my schooling. I know that if I had gone the conventional educational route, I would still love to write and would probably still be quite good at it, but I am certain that I would not enjoy it as much as I do now, and I may not have chosen to pursue an English Master’s degree. I haven’t decided quite yet what I want to do with it, but I am quite positive that my career choice will involve writing somewhere.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Indeed.. math is still a stinker for me too!!!

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home