Thursday, September 13, 2007

Writing Essays

I suppose I learned how to write an essay primarily from my English 1010 class here up at Weber. I considered myself a pretty good writer, though looking at my old work now, I had an inflated opinion of myself (as all teenagers are prone to do). But I believe I learned how to write pretty well before coming to Weber, and so English 1010 just gave me the specifics that I needed. With only a vague understanding of how to write an essay, I refined it through practice and eventually got better at it, good enough to get good grades. I never actually got any bad marks for any of my papers here at Weber, certainly nothing lower than a B+. I guess it becomes a debate of whether I already knew what to do, or whether I learned it through osmosis, or excellent teaching, but I don’t know for sure.

Well, thinking about it just now, I think that I learned how to write all by myself...mostly. In the summertime of youthful fancies (i.e. 12) I fancied myself a writer after reading the Thomas Covenant series, by Stephen R. Donaldson, and so I learned how to write in a variety of ways. When I got to college, the concept of an essay seemed foreign and alien to me, but I wrote well enough to get by, in spite of not knowing any of the core concepts of how to write an essay...a Thesis, organized body statements, a cohesive conclusion, etc. I eventually learned the format, but since I was homeschooled through my junior high and high school period, I was never formally taught how to do it. So therefore, I suppose I had a good baseline to start with, and I simply picked up what I needed to know from English 1010 and English 2010, and refined that ability through all the various other essay papers that I had to write here up at Weber with all my various classes. So I guess I learned it naturally, and never had a problem with it.

After all that long rambling, I suppose there’s not much else to say. I suppose I've said the word "suppose" a lot. I started out well, and I learned what I needed to know.

So, it’s not 500 words, only a measly 399 until this paragraph, but I suppose it should work. I mean I could stretch it out until then, but I think it’d do a disservice to simply waste time and space for something that was put more simply and succinctly already. Or maybe I'm just lazy, but I feel I've said what I needed to say.

And...colored text ftw!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home