Thursday, September 14, 2006

The writing never understood

A two part discussion, yay! Alright, the first part is relatively easy as it pertains to what my first few sessions have been like this semester. Truthfully, they’ve been really easy. It might be that I’m comparing them to my worst moment sessions from the previous term I worked, after all ANYTHING looks easy when compared to a forty page science graduation paper! And yes, I have had the lovely experience of attempting to edit that mad beast, especially when the student said it was due in half an hour and all he wanted was for grammatical corrections. So when I look at the short three page paper I’ve scanned, the resume, or even the twenty minute session working on idea generation you have to say that they’ve been easy.


My short paper was simply reading through and letting the student know what her global issues where, those being her choices of words where usually wrong in context. Then I had to help a graduating student to produce her Grad School Resume. She seemed fairly sure of what she was doing and honestly the only thing I noticed that was wrong was some minor punctuations which was easily fixed. The final, and so far favorite, of my papers was defiantly the sit down, idea generation one. We got to discuss what sort of bags she thought represented her and then how she was going to write down WHY she thought it was perfect. So between them I’ve had a nice introduction back into the life of the Writing Center, and I am now slowly getting ready for the wonderment that is…FINALS!!!


Now on to the second half of this discussion, where I learned to write the way I have. To begin with, I would like to say that I don’t think I’m that good of a writer. I mix up my words, add e’s to everything, and my punctuation needs some serious help. I don’t think, though, that I’ve ever had someone sit me down and work me through things. They’ll point out where I have problems and then leave it alone. So as I’ve gone through the years I’ve just learned to try and work on those parts-a fact that hasn’t worked so far. I also have learned to imitate the writing I view in my books and working to sound closer to their talents.


So my works tend to shift depending on the book I’m reading or the mood I’m in, and I have to say that’s probably not a good thing. I do have to say it’s created a rather interesting factor in that I can go back and read my assignments over the years and usually can identify what author I was reading at the time. How many people have that sort of time-table for their reading? Yet, I’ve managed to pass all of my English classes so far…added to the fact that I’m trying to write a novel all on my own and we’ll see where it will end up someday. All in all, I think that’s all I have to say regarding my so called writing ‘talents’ and I’ll leave it at that for today. ^^ Ja!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home