Sunday, September 24, 2006

Stolen Goods: They Make Us Gooder Tutors.

Stealing, it’s a beautiful thing! Just the other day I flipped the paper over and asked the student, “What are you trying to say?” OK, I didn’t really flip the paper over (although it would have been more dramatic), but I did say, “Let’s set this aside for a moment,” and that’s more or less the same thing. It worked like magic, so thank you Dr. Rogers.

Another important characteristic I have observed in many tutors is confidence. Even though I now know that in some cases it is little more than an absolutely superb Oscar-worthy performance, I firmly believe that it is immensely important. Regardless of whether the confidence is feigned or genuine, it is often contagious. And I can’t think of an instance where a healthy confidence boost hurt anyone’s writing.

I strongly believe that learning is a lot more effective if emotions of any kind are involved, especially positive emotions. That is why when I see a tutor and a student laughing in a session, I immediately know that it is very likely there is some serious learning going on. So to all of you out there who know how to make a student feel at ease, I am watching you and stealing all the good stuff: skillful use of small talk, greetings accompanied by a smile, relaxed posture.

Oh, this blog is a little vague. It’s been a long week and my mind is wandering when it should be resting, and it is probably stumbling, too. So please excuse the mistakes.

I know that this is not nearly long enough but I do not want to sit here and come up with a bunch of meaningless stuff just to meet the five hundred word requirement. It is either below my artistic integrity(ha-ha, like there really is such a thing!) or I am just too tired to stay up any longer. Although I would like to add that it has been a pleasure to associate with you all in this class. I truly feel like I learn something from each person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home