Saturday, September 16, 2006

Here's how it went.

Well, now that I have a few tutoring sessions under my belt I will be pleased to tell you about them. My first session was with a Japanese student who was applying to Microsoft. She had in hand her resume and wanted the grammar checked on it. This was before we had learned anything about ESL students, and with my knees buckling I sat down to do the job. The session went okay, but I wasn’t as focused and concentrated as I wanted to be. I was too busy thinking, “Ahhhh!” The same types of situations came up as we had talked about in class, and I wished I had known about negotiated interaction. Nevertheless, I helped her with her paper the best I could and sent her on her way.

I felt much better about my next session. It consisted of an English 1010 student who needed help on a persuasive essay about stay-at-home moms. Phew, this was in my comfortable territory. She already had a pretty good paper backed up with a thesis and developing body paragraphs. I gave her a few suggestions and then sent her on her way. Then another student came in with the same assignment. His paper was a little harder to deal with, but I was able to give him advice on organization and how to stick to his point. I rather enjoyed both of these sessions because I was comfortable advising them.

I had another tutoring session where a learned a couple of important things about tutoring. A student came in with two papers that were each about five or six pages long. He was only concerned about grammar. So, I read through both papers with him, which took about an hour, and fixed grammatical errors. When I was done Kassie told me some helpful advice. She said that I could find patterns, educated him on how to fix the repeated problems, and let him fix the rest himself. This seems like common sense but I never really thought about it before. Anyway, thanks Kassie! In this session I also learned how to focus more in on the paper. I follow the reader along with my writing utensil. I never do this when I’m reading silently to myself but it really helps while tutoring!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home