Saturday, September 16, 2006

Aye, They're all Full a' Malarky They Arr.

It's the end of the world as we know it, but tutoring's going fine. I've only been in the Writing Center twice, for one hour sessions each time, so my over-all experience is very limited. What experience I have had has been fine though, except for one thing. My first day, I had the opportunity to tutor two students, UNFORTUNAYELY, I forgot that the log sheet existed. Neither of them really got written down...I got the first name of one, but that was...it ...really...it was pretty bad. Somebody mentioned doing it as I was about to leave the Writing Center, otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed at all...On the plus side though, being a new tutor, I've found myself with a lot of "let's read the manual time, which I am in sore need of.

... I guess I'll speak now on how I started writing. Well...**thinks about kindergarten experience**...**decides not to even start on that joke**...I guess the first time I really remember writing a story was in the Third Grade. I remember it like it was yesterday...**waits for the wavy "flashback" lines to appear** You see, our teacher, Mrs. Nelson, made us make a pop-up book as one of our assignments. One of our BIG, FAT, HUGE assignments. (Not to say that the other assignments in class were that big, just to make sure that there is no doubt in your mind about exactly how BIG, FAT, and HUGE this one was.) Anywho, I was really into the Dinotopia series at the time, and I also really liked dragons. So the story that I wrote, and cut me some slack here, because I was in the Third Grade, was called "Dinodragia." It just made sense. (And probably infringed on a few copy-write laws.) It was my masterwork, I made myself the main character and illustrated the whole thing. It had everything from shipwrecks, to pirates, to bombs made out of coconuts and bamboo. (Again, cut me some slack people, I was in the THIRD-freaking GRADE) No gunpowder was ever involved, don't ask me how that one worked. Anyways, not only was this the most intense story ever told, I also managed to tell the whole thing in less than a page, single-spaced if memory serves me. It, was awesome. I actually won a contest for it, but I didn't write much after that until the Fifth Grade. In the Fifth Grade Mrs. Harris introduced me to poetry, and that's what really got me hooked.

Now I'm done with that tangent, and off to another tangent! I didn't actually start writing stuff down until the Third Grade, but I made up alot of stories before that. I had a pretty active imagination, and my Dad always used to make up stories about me, my little brother, and two of our cousins on the fly, which he would tell us when we were going to sleep as kids. He was probably the one who gave me my love of stories in the first place, and about as long as I can remember, I've always loved to read. Most of you guys probably do to, but if you don't I'd really like to hear about it. I think it would be interesting to hear why you like to write if you don't like to read.

OH!! As scattered as my thoughts have been throughout this post, I just remembered the ultimate purpose of writing this thing. The prompt involved something like, "what about your writing experience can you bring to tutoring?" I like writing, I'd like students to like their writing too. If they don't.....well.....I'll just go from there. That's all for now I guess. Tata.
- Andie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home