Friday, September 22, 2006

of post-modernism and stealing

I just have to throw my hat into the post-modernism ring for a moment, so please bear with me. ARGH! That class discussion drove me nuts, yes it was very interesting and informative, but still! I walked away with the unfortunate predicament of having all thoughts, conversations, and French papers tainted with po-mo. Let me just say that no matter what the post-modernist were shooting for or how great their ideals are- they don't help you conjugate verbs! Even if that verb is only given meaning by me believing what the department says is the verb meaning- ahh! It's happened again.
Right, now that I've had my say about that I'll start on stealing. It is pretty intimidating to watch all the seasoned tutors at the top of their game (even at half their game, really) and it makes me want to try all sorts of new tutoring techniques. I love how Kassie and Katie just have this way with words that allow them to be so friendly with the students. I really want to try that but every time I finish the formal introductions of self the students get right down to brass tacks. Sometimes well before introductions too. Sam has this great ability to get right to the heart of paper problems, it's almost like she and the paper are having little conversations behind the students back. Paper: "Oh, you wouldn't believe all the organization problems with me, I just jump from on topic to the text, and them back again! It's making my head spin!" Sam: "You don't have a head but I know how to fix this without Dramamine." Or something in that vain. Tyler's sincerity and Jacie's...well, her thingness. Something about her sessions seems to work really well. It just may be all sorts of little things working together in such a way to create a chipper and informative session but whatever it is it definitely fits the bill.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott Rogers said...

Your post is so post-modern that there's nothing there!

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home