Sunday, September 24, 2006

Social Plagiarism

Wow...this was a really hard post for me for some reason! It probably has something to do with the fact that I haven’t really paid attention to what sort of tricks I’ve stolen from various sources. Mostly because the only times I’ve really observed anyone with the intent to remember WHO I’m about to steal from, it’s been Katie! While that was very informative it failed to offer enough to fill an assignment about watching people. So I suppose instead I’ll just mention WHAT I’ve learned and maybe…people can lay claim to anything they notice as belonging to them?


Well, lets see the first thing I guess I picked up from just watching people in general was the manner in which you greet and respond to the tutee. Up until I joined the writing center my experiences tended to be more based with people I was familiar with and on paper I could take home and dissect at my leisure. That doesn’t work any longer so I closely watched everyone during my early days in the center and quickly picked up the questions you should always ask, such as what is your homework assignment? I also picked up just the general laid back and yet professional tone that is used when conversing with a student. Along the way I’ve also acquired several delicate ways to approach the questions we have to ask for paperwork, such as for our white sheets or having someone fill out the blue computer paper. The witty reasons that a tutor has given before will be pilfered and added to my own collection, so if you hear me make a comment that sounds eerily similar to one you’ve made before, don’t worry, its not your imagination I have in fact stolen valuable goods from you! Don’t fret, however, for I have no intention of serving ANY time for my devious habits! MUAHAHAHAH!! Okay, so that was a little random, but it’s all good, on a more serious note I have truthfully stolen a lot of lines that I found to be perfect and modified them which has helped me a lot in almost all of my tutoring sessions. I have tried very hard to imitate the various responses I’ve seen over time and I hope I’ve been doing them justice so far.


I also picked up an interesting idea, one that I don’t know who the claim goes to but thanks for the idea, and that is making marks along side the sentences where I noticed a problem exists. I can then hear the whole paper and go back with a general understanding of what the paper is about before I need to make any global corrections. I know that Katie makes notes while the student is reading, but I found that didn’t work very well for me because I wasn’t able to lead back to the paper with my questions. It seems much simpler to mark exactly where the issue is at and then go back over it. I’ll make a mark at any place that the student pauses, which again is something I’ve picked up from someone. This way the student sees where they stumbled over wording, meaning they weren’t probably saying exactly what they wanted correctly. Overall I think the method has worked very well and kudos to whomever I stole it from!


Well…I think that’s all for tonight. Until next time then!
Ja! ^^

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home