Sunday, September 24, 2006

Brain Theft in a Timely Manner

What do I want to steal? After all the plagiarism talks that teachers have given me throughout my school career I can still honestly say that I don’t think any good art has ever come about without stealing. So again I’ll pose the question, what do I want to steal?...Well, I still haven’t had very much tutoring experience, and I can’t think of anything off of the top of my head that seems pertinent to write, so I have decided to look through some of the other blogs in this forum and steal some of their stealings, let’s see what happens.

HA! Okay, to start with, I unwittingly stole the idea to steal ideas from the stolen ideas of others from Melissa. That was NOT intended, but I like her tenacity, and her ability to go to other sources when she doesn’t know where to begin, which I’m trying to do right now. I heard quite a few people mention that they would like to be able to make the students laugh. That’s a wonderful quality, which I would like to emulate, but what I think I really want to steal is, as Ryan puts it “the years of experience from the seasoned tutors that can assess the situation quickly and precisely.” More than that even, I would like to have all the answers that my student needs at the forefront of my mind. I would like for the student to think that I know what I’m doing because I DO know what I’m doing, and to have the confidence inspired by that knowledge. (Ala Yulia’s confidence portion of her blog.) I would like to be able to pin-point grammar errors like Derek, and Katie (NOT my strong suit). I’m trying to develop that now, but I wish that I had it behind me already.

I guess one of the major things that I’d like to steal from some of the other tutors I’ve seen is sincerity. I want to be able to give confidence through the compliments that I give the students, because a few of the few that I’ve worked with so far have had little confidence in their writing abilities and vast potential. Some of their stories and ideas were very engaging. I also want to be able to send them away with a clue about the other things that they need to work on outside of the major points which I cover in a session. I don’t want them to walk out with a body outline to construct and think that other than that they’re done. On the other hand I don’t want to overload them. I want to find a happy medium and I don’t know that there is one. I’ll have to watch the other tutors for that and see.

I also want to steal some time management strategies. Katie gets her sessions done, and addresses all the major concerns of the paper in a timely fashion which I have not yet been able to achieve. In trying to work with students, I’ve found that I usually end up taking a lot more than twenty minutes whenever I can afford it. I’m not sure how she does it yet either. It usually takes about ten minutes for me just to get going and finish having the student read their paper. The other tutors manage it though, and I’m keen on stealing whatever ideas that anyone else in the class can throw me on this subject. HELP PLEEEEEEEEAAAASEEEE!!!

Sincerely-
Andie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home