Monday, November 14, 2005

I love tutoring ESL students, so I'm going to write 8-10 pages about it

I’ve decided to do my bibliographic essay on tutoring ESL students because I absolutely LOVE to tutor them. My first few ESL sessions were frustrating, but I got used to the differences in tutoring methods after a while, and now these are my favorite sessions. I think I enjoy them so much partly because I think I like to explain English in the particular ways required for an ESL student, and partly because I like seeing how they put things together differently than native speakers.

In class last week, it was interesting to hear about the various ways of expressing ideas through writing in different cultures. Today I was tutoring an ESL student who wanted to make sure that the cultural writing influences of her country did not interfere with the paper she was writing, which happened to be an academic argument. Before class last week, I hadn’t put much thought into other cultures’ style of writing. I probably figured that there were different ideas about writing, but I never really thought about how this might affect the English writing of ESL students. I know I’d have a really hard time organizing my ideas in vastly different ways from what I’ve been exposed to in this country on top of paying attention to spelling, grammar, punctuation, and making sure I was using the correct words. I probably wouldn’t do a good job of giving all the details first, and then getting to the main point close to the end.

I think by doing my bibliographic essay on tutoring ESL students, I might get a better idea of how to help them. I know I’m not doing everything right during these types of sessions, but I like the challenge they present. For me, they can be some of the most complex sessions I experience because I have to stretch myself to think about concepts of English in ways, as a native speaker, I would never have considered. I’m having a great time tutoring ESL students, and I’d like to know ways to better help them and more about the issues surrounding this type of tutoring.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kassie said...

I tutored an ESL student yesterday. It was fun and hard at the same time. ESL teaching is a good challenge.

The student I tutored yesterday didn't feel comfortable talking to me; I think it was because he didn't feel confident in speaking English with me. That, and I think he was shy.
I asked a lot of questions about his country, Taiwan, which perked his interest. The assignment was to explain the differences between the US and Taiwan so by having me ask questions about his home and his transition to the US, it helped us to discuss the paper. And then he wasn't as shy to ask me questions.

He was a little hard to understand, mostly because he was so quiet, but at least he was talking to me and asking questions.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home