Thursday, November 10, 2005

Hmmmm........

I've been looking through "A Tutor's Guide: Helping Writers One to One" and the only thing that sparks any 10 page interest for me is ESL tutoring, so I'll be doing my essay on that.

There really isn't much to say right now about it since I haven't gotten very far yet. I just think I could benefit from learning about the research or experiments people have done on the various ethnic backgrounds of writer's who come to the USA for schooling and who struggle to understand the way we write.

Also, I'm sure the more I learn about ESL students, the better I can tutor them, of course. As I have tutored ESL students, I have learned of some different ways they think and the many crazy little words we have to use in order to make sense in our writing. I think if a person can learn English, they can learn anything.

Language is facinating to me. I'd like to learn to speak several languages and I think I could in the time it takes a non-native English speaker to learn English. There are so many ways of looking at writing and thinking about it that language becomes a barrier or a facilitator, depending on how much of it you know.

I look forward to learning more and getting to know those people who come from a far away land to become education here in America's university systems.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home