Thursday, November 10, 2005

Cudgel in Scrabble

I've been pondering the nature of writing lately, wondering how much it is based on talent, and how much it is based on learned ability. Now obviously, a naturally talented writer will still benefit from instruction, training. Then there are those who may feel they have no talent at all writing and must rely heavily on their training and constantly practice.

It's something I think about a lot when I see someone drawing an amazing picture. I could stand over their shoulder and say, "I wish I could draw like that." And usually the response I get is that I could if I just practiced enough. And it's a nice thought. But a large part of me insists that this person's drawing I'm looking at could only be a product of pure talent. And I may practice all I want but eventually will have to accept my limitations as an artist.

It's similiar with music. We've all seen movies about musical genius such as Shine or Ray. True enough, those artists had to practice a lot to get as good as they were, but, come on, those people were naturals. I have this hard time believing that no amount of practice could ever make me as good as Ray Charles was at the piano. Does having talent encapsulate the drive and motivation to be good at something? Can I learn motivation? Or is that something that cannot be contrived?

These thoughts of mine really make me wonder about my own limitations as a writer. Can I train myself to be a better writer? Probably. But to what extent? When do I accept the limitations that I have? Just how far can my talent take me before I've reached my creative and intellectual peak?

At times when I think I'm a fairly adept writer, the masocist in me insists that I just start reading Kurt Vonnegut or Frank Herbert. It's always a nice reality check for me. One that says, "You either can never be this good, or you started too late in life to be this good." Kind of disturbing I suppose, but it may be a tad healthy to recognize what my limitations as a writer are. And perhaps a benefit of this is that I may lash out occasionally and take on more than I can handle. I'm sure it's positive to attempt things that may seem impossible. Such as writing a good novel. But it's good to try anyway.

The only regret I may have is that I'll never be as funny as the guy who writes these abridged scripts. http://www.the-editing-room.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Kassie said...

I like your thoughts, Greg. I think about these things too. Hmmm.... Good blog.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home