Friday, November 11, 2005

Blah Blog

Does anyone else feel a little overwhelmed lately? I do. Maybe it is because everything is catching up with me--- tests, assignments, projects, etc.---Today I left the Writing Center feeling like I forgot something, but I couldn't figure out what it was. I hate that.

I have a groove. I really do. You know, like on the Emperor's new groove... "I'm sorry but you have thrown off the Emperor's groove."--- "Sooorrrrryy!!" :)

I was telling Kirsten about my groove earlier today. Like me, she forgets things sometimes. After work, she forgot to take her lanyard off. I told her that I used to do that all the time, but I created a groove to remembering to take off my lanyard and now I remember to take it off before I go home. I connect my remembering to take my lanyard off with remembering to put my folder away. When I remember to put my folder away, I remind myself to take my lanyard off. I connect my thoughts together all the time. It helps me remember to do the mundane tasks that need to be done. It has its advantages and disadvantages. One disadvantage is that if I forget to do something, then my groove can be thrown off. And that is an annoying experience.

It is a chain reaction; if I forget to do one thing then I forget to do the next thing I need to do. I generally have a row of tasks connected to each other. It bothers me when I know I forgot to do something or grab something but I can't think what it is. Of course, as Murphy’s law would have it, I remember what I have forgotten hours later when I am leaving or driving in my car; or sometimes I wake up and remember what it is I was suppose to do. One time I woke up and remembered that I had a quiz in the morning and I hadn't studied for it yet. That wasn't a happy remembering experience.

I'm kind of curious. Does anyone else, besides Kirsten and me, have a groove? Does it ever get thrown off? What do you do to get back on track? How do you remember things? Do you guys create a groove in tutoring sessions?

I have been developing a method of asking how the session should proceed. I mean, I still go by the student's needs, and no two sessions are identical but I do have a way of asking whether or not the student has been entered into the computer, what the tutee's name is--- etc. It's all about timing--- interjecting questions, comments and input at the right time--- My groove could almost be considered dancing. I'm a horrible dancer, but when everything falls into place, I feel like I don't have two-left feet anymore and I can dance. I like it when everything falls into place. So, please...“Don’t throw off the groove!…”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home