Thursday, October 27, 2005

I can only Pick One?

I guess there are several different types of papers I have a bit of a challenge approaching. In all honesty, each paper presents different challenges for me, but specifically, I have a hard time seeing the same asssigned papers over and over again. I understand the mentality that this ouight to make the process easier and faster, but based on the way I try to look at each paper--a new experience with each individual student--when I see the same paper multiple times it causes me problems.

I don't say this to boast: this individual attention causes many problems with my tutoring. The biggest problem I see is that at times I have a hard time connecting the paper to the student. To explain: I tend to look at the mechanics of a student's paper at one time, and then when I'm done looking at the paper then I pull myself out and address the student seperately.

In addition to the assigned papers, I would have to agree with several of my fellow writing tutors in saying that APA research papers are difficult for me. Luckiliy, I haven't had to face one head on yet. At times, MLA confuses me, and APA seems so much more complex and obscure. On top of that, it seems like often when students with research papers come to the writing center, they don't have a clear understanding of their assignments. It makes it very difficult to help them when we don't know what the professor is trying to teach them. At times, I'm afraid that I'm butting heads against what the student thinks his/her professor has said and what I know to be the general rule.

For example, I don't know if enyone else has run into students who say their professors have told them to not include a thesis statement in a research paper; that they were supposed to simply introduce the paper in a general (might I call wishy washy) fashion.

In general though, things have gotten better. Who knows: maybe at some point I'll be able to face each type of paper with the utmost ease. I'm afraid, I'm a ways away yet, however.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home