Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Just a warning...

Okay--- so I'm tutoring. The student has asked me a question and I am answering it the best that I can. Let's say that the student has asked me about run-on sentences. His or her teacher said to watch out for them. The student would like to know what they are before we dive into the paper. This way, he or she can look for run-ons and together we can talk about them. I begin answering the question when all of a sudden... "RING! RING! RING!"... "HELLOOO???!!!"

Grrrrrrrr.... This hasn't happened to me---yet. It hasn't in this fashion anyway. I have had students answer their phone before the session begins while I am sliding their card; they quickly handle the phone call, apologize and the session goes on without an interruption. I understand that things come up--- life, accidents, surprises--- but if I am expected to hold off on my homework, my life, my everything else that I may be thinking or needing to do so I can help the student with his or her paper, isn't it only fair for me to expect the student to at least--- not just pay attention--- but be respectful in the same manner? I guarantee that if I had a cell phone it would never go off in a session. When a cell phone goes off it can and does convey the message that whatever was going on before, like, let's say a tutoring session, is not important anymore.

So just a warning: I don't think I will like cell phones going off when I am tutoring. It is distracting, rude and unprofessional! Trust me, I'll be the first to say "grrr" when a phone goes off when I think that it shouldn't. Just know that my "grrr" is a warning. I don't want to get into a heated debate with anyone; I hate arguing. I feel strongly about this subject and I have high opinions about it. I just hope that when a tutee's phone goes off while I am tutoring, that he or she will quickly turn it off and NEVER let it happen again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home