Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Is that a pseudobushia hugiflora?

My ideal case of "defensive minimalism" would be if a student started to tap a beat with his foot and so I began to bob my head. Then he starts playing the air drums and then I'm like playing the air guitar and then we both have an air jam session that's all wicked bad! And I'm sure Chris would totally jump in with the air upright bass and we'd all play some wicked bad fake music.

I've not tried this "defensive minimalism". I suspect it is a method used more by the seasoned tutors. I do not see myself using this method until I've established myself as an adept tutor who feels cushy in the Writing Center. Once I'm that confident, then perhaps I will implement this method on and off.

In the meantime, I'm continuing with my own experiments in engaging reluctant writers. One method we've discussed before that I think really helps is to have a friendly conversation with the student. Whether it is indirectly related to their paper, or completely unrelated, I feel this can establish a good rapport with the student, ease the tension between the two of us, and change the student's disposition towards tutors altogether. Though I may not help a student much in that session, he may have changed his attitude a little towards writing or the Writing Center. I suppose that's what you all like to call "little victories" or "small successes".

I really do believe that a good way to engage a reluctant writer is to disassociate myself as any kind of authority figure. I want for a short while to just become this student's partner and have us collaborate on ideas. I've had many sessions so far like this and I believe those students walked away with a good feeling about the writing center and the impression that we are students just like them and understand the process that they are going through.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott Rogers said...

Sounds strikingly like a certain Strongbad cartoon.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but I was heshin' long before Strong Bad ever was.

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home