Monday, October 25, 2004

Blog for Blog's Sake

Since there has been no directive on what we should write about, I would like let you all know that I'm recovering from the sorrow for my team's demise in the American League Championship Series. They should have won it. They could have won it. They would have won it had Kenny Lofton been in the lineup instead of Ruben Sierra in Game 5...but that's not the point. The point is they lost. They lost fair and square to a good team. Although I hate the Red Sox more than I hate snow...yes, we've had both- the Red Sox in the World Series and snow on our lawns and streets and cars.

Anyway, we live in a cynical world...okay, I'm stealing that line from Jerry Maguire. Why do people say that "Show me the money!" and "You had me at hello" are the best lines in that movie? It's a great movie with lots of classics. The best of which I cannot post here because this is a family blog. I highly recommend watching that movie if you never have. If you have seen Jerry Maguire, I recommend watching it again because it brings much joy to the soul.

Here are a few other movies I'd like to recommend:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: I didn't think Charlie Kaufman could outdo the creativity he showed in 'Adaptation' but he did. Jim Carrey should get an Oscar for his performance in this movie and Kate Winslet should at least be nominated. This is the best movie of the year so far.

Boondock Saints: If you're offended by violence and swearing (okay, and nudity..but just for a couple seconds) you should not watch this movie...oh yeah, it has some drug use and drinking...and a cat gets shot and blown to pieces...other than that it's one of the funniest, wittiest movies you'll ever see. Willem Dafoe is absolutely hilarious as a gay FBI investigator.

Band of Brothers: How can you go wrong with Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks as executive directors of a movie adaptation of a book written by Stephen A. Ambrose? You can't, that's how. This is a ten-hour mini-series that has the cinematic quality of Saving Private Ryan. The action and acting are FANTASTIC!!

Now, here are my recommendations for albums:

Smashing Pumpkins-Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness: This is the greatest album by the greatest band since the Beatles. A double album...28 songs of sheer delight, love, anger, and angst.

Radiohead- Kid A: Although OK Computer is probably their greatest album, this album was nominated for the Grammy for album of the year in 2000. It's a very deep, melancholic album.

Now, here are my recommendations for television shows:

Arrested Development: I am a big Seinfeld fan, but even I have to admit that this is the funniest show ever to be on television. The characters, the situations, the writing are second to none. This show airs on Sunday nights at 7:30 on Fox (Channel 13).

The Shield: This is the hardest hitting, most realistic cop show on TV. This ain't your daddy's cop show...they actually are able to say some naughty words. You must watch....the season starts next February, I think, and it's on Tuesday nights on FX (Channel 23). You can also watch Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD.

I hope I have been helpful here. Hope I didn't take up too much cyberspace!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home