Friday, October 22, 2004

Rain, Boston, and Politics

Well you asked for it. When I woke up the other morning to the cool breeze coming through the window I was thrilled. I love cold weather. Then I looked outside and saw that it was raining as well. I hate the rain. My exuberance was instantly dashed and I fell into a depression. That’s right. And every morning when I woke up to rain, I fell farther into that depression. On Wednesday I actually went home after school and just curled up in a ball in bed and went to sleep. I hate the rain. While I understand that rain is essential to the environment, I wish it would only rain at night. That way I could enjoy it.

Anyway, that’s enough about the rain. Let’s talk about baseball. So, with all of the homework, working, and time with my girlfriend, there is little time to enjoy watching the games, but I made sure to catch the highlights on Sports Center in the morning during breakfast. When Boston fell down 3 games to none I thought they were done. No one has ever come back from a 3 game deficit. I especially thought there would be no hope for them when Schilling hurt his ankle. But I was wrong, sorry Layne. When they started to win, game by game, I got excited. Could it really happen? It did. I wasn’t planning on watching any of the World Series, but now that Boston is in it I may try and squeeze in a few innings. I know, it’s too bad that my Mets couldn’t get it done this season, but their time will come. For now we should all join together and root for Boston.

Well, the election as proven to be a bust for me. I never paid much attention to past elections, but I was determined to be informed this year. I have read article after article about each of the candidates and I have listened to their speeches and watched some of their debates. It’s too bad that neither one of the candidates seems to want to tell us how they are going to do anything. On the few occasions when I was able to filter through the name calling and pot shots, I realized that both Bush and Kerry only said what they were going to do, not how they were going to do it. I’m not stupid, the American people aren’t stupid, lay it out for us. Maybe we over estimate ourselves? Maybe we aren’t intelligent enough to understand the complex plans that these men’s men have created. I read a political cartoon in the New Yorker that described the sad estate of politics by showing two children playing the sand and one saying to the other, “I hope to raise enough money to be President.” What would happen if the most intelligent and informed people ran this country? Maybe their debates would be entertaining. I am honestly not sure who to vote for because frankly, I don’t like either candidate. Neither one of them seems to be able to be mature enough to avoid cutting down their competitor. Why not just tell us what you’re going to do with our country? Flip!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home