Thursday, October 21, 2004

Important Issue

As of this moment we do not have a specific topic to blog for this week so I am choosing to write about whatever I want to.

This one is for you Andrea.

I have a very important issue to discuss. But first there are a couple things about me that you must know, and those that get to know me find out fairly quickly. They include, but are not restricted to, the following: I hate horrid, vile smells and I love cute little animals.
I have been known to actually throw up when confronted with certain offensive smells and will do whatever is necessary to avoid them. I have also been known to visit the animal shelter just to pet the adorable kittens. I once literally sobbed while sitting on the floor of IFA because I was holding a baby duck in my hand and it was so dang cute I couldn’t take it.
Now that you know some of my most embarrassing secrets we can now proceed to the issue at hand. You can now understand why I am so disgusted by current state of Weber State University’s duck pond. The stench of the rotting alligator carcasses (it’s true) and whatever else ends up at the bottom of that pond is pervading the entire campus. I must also mention that the draining of the pond has resulted in the loss of a decent home for numerous hungry ducks. This is not the first time that the pond has been drained, nor so I feel it will be the last. Some years they drain the pond a few times a semester! I have not yet heard the exact reason why they must expose that smell to us, but whatever the reason may be I don’t think that it should have to take place so frequently.
I am not the only one that has suffered the injustice of enduring the smell; I have heard frequent complaints during the last couple of days. When leaving campus our own Stephanie, from the writing center, stated, “uhhgg- that smell is disgusting! Why the [heck] are they draining that thing (the pond) again?
I have also heard from reliable sources that I am not the only one bothered by the sight of so many land-ridden ducks. Many students have voiced their outrage to the proper authorities, but to no avail. The poor little things wade in the few puddles that are left, but have no where to truly swim and pursue the true happiness that only a duck in a pond can find. The ducks are lucky that during this draining none of them are fostering small ducklings, but what of other drainings when some new families are not so lucky?
Something must be done to protect both duck pleasure and olfactory contentment. If you have any suggestions or would like to join me in a duck food drive please let me know.

P.S. When Professor Rogers said that we could write anything did he really mean anything?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home