Monday, October 18, 2004

My excuse

Okay, so here’s my excuse. I made a plan to blog on Fridays since I have a little "free" time (meaning I keep my sister’s kids so she and her husband can go on a date. Her kids entertain my boy, which gives me a little time at the computer without a kid on my lap.) So, I planned on doing blogs on Friday nights. Well, my last blog was on Sept. 24th (note it was a Friday) and I was due to do a blog on the 1st. However, my inconsiderate older brother decided to go and get himself killed in a car accident on Thursday night. What was he thinking? Didn’t he know I had to do a blog on Friday? So, instead of doing my much anticipated blog, I was hysterically trying to comfort myself, my parents and remaining siblings (self medication with chocolate didn’t work as well as usual). The next week I spent every free moment at my parent’s house, in a state of shock along with the rest of our family.


Searls, my oldest brother, and his family have been living in Florida for the past couple years. They got hit by the hurricanes and so he was spending lots of time cleaning up after the storms. He was also the BSA leader in the area, so spent lots of time working with a group of boys trying to get their Eagles. Less than a week before the accident he fell asleep standing up in the back yard, leaning against the tree. His wife, Christina, had enough time to go into the house for the camera, take a picture and return the camera before he fell over and woke up. So on Thursday he was coming home from his class (he was working toward his MBA) and apparently fell asleep at the wheel. He crashed into the back of an auto-transport semi and flipped the car over. They think he died instantly. He has a wife and five kids between the ages of 3 and 11. Since both our family and his wife’s family are in Utah she decided to bury him here.


The next Friday (blog day) was my brother’s viewing and we buried him on Saturday, the 9th. Obviously, I could have found some time to do a blog or two during the past two weeks, but it’s been a big enough challenge to get out of bed (since I sleep when I’m depressed/sad), not to mention coming to campus for class and work, being a mom, and housewife. My sister-in-law and her children have needed a lot of emotional support. Stuart, age 5, followed me around the mortuary asking questions about everything. Morgan, the oldest girl, pulled me around by the arm for a while. My sister, who is only 19 months older than Searls, is falling apart because she’s lost her "almost twin" who’s been her best friend for as long as she can remember. What a mess.

I’ll try to catch up. I know you all have been missing my witty comments and glorious insights. =) I can’t promise anything at this point, though. It is impressive that I did this blog on Monday instead of procrastinating until Friday.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home