Sunday, October 17, 2004

Boston Gets One

I have a lot of things on my mind right now. I just saw the Red Sox beat the Yankees in extra innings; that was cool. I know saying this isn't going to make me much friends among my tutoring associates, but I'm not much of a Yankee fan. Don't worry, just cause I am not too fond of the Yankees and kinda like the Red Sox, that doesn't mean I like Kerry that much either.
It is late and I have put this blog off for too long, so I am going to give it a wack just like Ortiz did to finish the game late in Boston.
After class on Monday I started to think about this whole indoctrination theory and if I could recognize any of my teachers trying to do it to me. I thought of one prime example. I took English 2010 just as the whole Patriot Act was coming together. I remember very vividly my professor subtly saying things so that we would think the whole Patriot Act was a bad Idea. I remember thinking that my teacher was smart so that meant he must be right. I hated the Patriot Act, yet I knew nothing about it. Since then I've learned a little more about it and, well, I kind of think it's a good idea. I guess that is besides the point. The thing I'm trying to point out is that my professor used his position and influence on us to try and make us have his point of view. It makes me more than a little angry. I feel like he used me like a tool.
We need to be so careful when dealing with writers who have views different than our own. If we don't share the same views as the writer, we can still help their writing and we can do it without trying to change their view.
A very effective way we can do this is by "playing the devil's advocate." This way the writer can see a different perspective of the argument. However, when we do this, we need to be careful. I think the second the writer starts to change his views instead of how he makes his argument, we probably have crossed the line from trying to help the student write better to indoctrinating him.
IN my opinion there are only two topics that we should try to indoctrinate in our students: Bush is better than Kerry and to vote Yes on amendment 3. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home