Saturday, October 09, 2004

Bloggin' the Line

October 9, 2004 blog—

I want to set up a blog for my family. We’re so scattered. Maybe we’d be a little more in touch with each other’s lives if we could just go in and write. I don’t know if they’ll go for it. If I ever get a minute (see the problem?), I’ll write and ask everyone.
What is this now, my sixth week of tutoring? It’s funny—people come into the writing center and think I actually know what I’m doing. I guess, compared to them, I do. I’m getting comfortable. I’m practicing leaving my pen on the table, or, even better, picking it up and putting it into the tutee’s hand. If I can get them to make one note, they make the second one on their own. It takes a great deal of self-restraint, a trait for which I am in no danger of becoming famous, but it’s gratifying to watch tutees own their own papers, and giving the pen to them seems to make it clear that I’m not going to do it for them.
I try to keep in mind the things I’m reading and apply them to my job. I’m serious about this and I feel like a complete nerd for being serious about this. This is a valuable opportunity for me. We’re learning teaching methods in the one-on-one tutoring classes that I’m not being taught (yet?) in Elementary Ed. It’s affecting my writing, too. I’m being careful again. I notice things I didn’t notice before. I caught myself pointing out to a guy today the “voice” his professor is expecting to hear, based on the type of paper he’s writing, and I knew I wouldn’t have even been aware of it a month ago.
I have nothing to say. I’m just muttering along, waiting for my Melatonin to catch up with me so I can go to bed. Those darn pesky tutees kept expecting me to do my job today. I didn’t get any homework done. So, I’ve got the usual big weekend plans. Later days, we be bloggin,’ keep the blog, blog in there, and all that blog. Eats, Shoots and Leaves is great, by the way. I’m not a nerd! I’m not, I’m not, I’m not!

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott Rogers said...

Lots of people set up blogs for their families. In fact, that was one of the initial uses of blogger.com--to keep family members up to date.

And melatonin is good stuff.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home