Saturday, October 02, 2004

I be bloggin...

October 2, 2004

Like at least one of my fellows before me, I have no desire to continue to talk What’s-‘is-name and Who’s-it even closer to death. It is actually on my gratitude list that I will never be required to read anything by either one of them ever again. I’m sure they’re both very bright…

I’m thinking about writing. I’m always a little behind everyone else, so I watched Finding Forrester last week. I loved it. I loved when William sat down at one typewriter and started typing and told Jamal to go ahead and start. Because he’s right. The way to learn to write is by writing. I wouldn’t want to learn to swim by reading about swimming—if there’s no water involved I’m wasting my time. I liked when he said the first draft comes from the heart. That’s how I’ve always felt about it. Sit down. Type. Don’t worry about spelling or organization. There’s time enough for that later. Get the thoughts captured on the paper before they slip away. I’ve had the experience of trying to keep something in mind that I wanted to write down later. I’ll never know what it was. Now if I want to write something down, I do it right now. A few words scribbled in one of my class notebooks are enough to keep the idea alive until I can spend time with it. After it’s all on the paper, then I’ll worry about what it looks like there, and see if it has anything else to say to me.

I had a student in here (the WC) the other day, and he asked me if he would ever get any better. I told him of course he would. If he’s trying to get better, he can’t possibly not get better. If a person writes for long enough, eventually something worth reading is going to come of it.

I love tutoring. It’s bringing back that word-loving part of me. Sometimes I read so much and write so much for classes that I don’t want anything to do with it if it isn’t due. I know some blogs back I said I didn’t like to write. I might have been at least a little wrong. It’s just that I can’t remember the last time I wrote because I wanted to. I’m starting to find that part again, that part that loves pens and paper and thinks books about grammar are good reading (I ordered Eats, Shoots and Leaves, by the way. I’m excited!). I like hanging out with all these other people who love words. There aren’t that many of them out wandering around—imagine having discovered a whole hive of them! I still don’t know most of your names, but I think you’re terrific. Have a bloggy day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home