Sunday, November 10, 2013

Hostility? Where?

I am at a bit of a loss, as I still have not had any truly hostile tutees. I have heard horror stories form others in the lab, but still have nothing to personally contribute to this discussion. Is it luck in the tutees I have had? Am I just a shit tutor that is completely oblivious? I am not sure exactly why it is that I have had few issues with my tutees.
 I think that one thing that I have going for me is the combination of sex and age. Most of the stories I have heard seem to come from young and/or female tutors. As an older male tutor, maybe I fit into a profile that many students expect from instructors and they are more willing to listen without a fight. There have been a few tutees that seem surprised that someone my age is in the writing lab, so that could be a part of it.
The other thing I wonder about is if I am not catching passive aggressive behaviors and assuming everything is ok. In general, I do miss some of the subtle cues people drop in my personal life, so maybe its the same at work. Hostile tutees could be throwing flak my way and it goes over my head and I keep going like everything is fine.
At this point all I can to is be prepared for hostility, as it will surely come my way eventually. I always try to be flexible in every session by being ready for anything.

Gary Lindeburg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home