Thursday, October 29, 2009

Mid-terms and extistential crises

The biggest headache this mid-term was getting swine flu. Everything else seems secondary. However, I am convinced that if I can combine the proper mix of Valium and Red Bull I can not only finish the three huge papers I have to write, but I will remain sane in the process.

However, I am currently struggling to stay awake reading about the philosophy of Schopenhauer and Cormac McCarthy. I swear that literary critics are deliberately obtuse. They say things like epistemology and ontology instead of knowing and believing. Thus, a headache inevitable ensues. Does anyone know a way to make these things more interesting? I would love to hear it.

Also, I have to write some sort of paper on something dealing with Victorian literature and the media and I don't know where to start. My level of interesting in just about everything has dropped so low at this point that most days remaining conscious is a feat within itself.
I feel like curling up and sleeping Rip Van Winkle style. Who's with me?

In the midst of all of the school mess occasionally at night larger questions threaten my sleep and sanity. As I approach a milestone birthday, I won't say which one, larger existential issues arise.
Since I am an existentialist and believe we create our own meaning, I have to then define and justify my existence. Why am I here and what is my purpose are questions that I think about frequently.

I also worry about leaving my mark upon this earth. I hate to think that after I die that's it. The rational portion of my brain says this is true, but the emotional part hopes it's not. (I think I am setting out my religious stance unintentionally.) However, I want to leave something behind after I go, but I'm not sure what.

I am also concerned that I have exhausted my depth of clever and new things to say about what I have read. I feel like I have too many books to read and not enough time. I am constantly looking at the library and feeling more and more inadequate. This is exhausting within itself. I think that I need a week of reading nothing literary and just focus on the stupid. This would assist me greatly. High level abstract thought seems to be too much of a challenge at this point, which is extremely unfortunate considering I need to write a paper dealing with the Bahktinian notion of the carnivalesque and Blood Meridian. I am ready to talk about something less esoteric and miss having my best friend close to do that with. Now that I am an old married lady I spend my free time keeping my house clean, shopping for groceries and ironing my husbands shirts. I need some retail therapy and a talk about shampoo or something.

Perhaps these questions are too large for a blog mostly about writing tutoring. So I'll leave you with something completely different.

Listen. Strange women lyin’ in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home