Thursday, September 24, 2009

going with the flow...

I really like lists, so we’re going to have this flow-chart be in list form.
1) Greet the tutee.
2) Ask what class it’s for, who the professor is, and what assignment their working on.
a. If they have a sheet with the assignment requirements on it, review it to make sure you understand the assignment as well.
3) Review the assignment and explain things as needed.
4) Ask the tutee if they have any other questions for you.
5) Part ways and give an encouraging comment. (“Have a good day,” “Good luck on your paper,” etc.)
That’s basically what I do when in a session. Of course it changes depending on what the student needs. Sometimes they’ll not have even started the paper yet and need to brainstorm or create an outline. In those cases, I usually feel less necessary and more like a person they need to bounce ideas off of or talk out loud to. That is one thing, I think, that we are effective in doing. Some people just need a place to write or to be thinking of writing, and that is what we need to help them do.
Concerning Bartholomae…I honestly did not know what he was talking about half the time. I was usually close to getting his points while I was reading, but then he would define what he was talking about with words or phrases that I did not know the meanings of. Other than that, I liked his points about having the student learning about writing through writing as best they can. I understand the dilemma about trying to understand the discourse used in a certain field pretty well. When I entered my Anthropology 100 class on the first day of my first semester, I had the hardest time figuring out some of the words my professor was using. She explained most things very well, but would then throw in a word that, though I’m sure it felt natural to her to use, was completely foreign to me. Luckily there weren’t many papers I had to write for that class, but bending the way I thought about it took a little work. I did not feel quite as stressed or frustrated with the way I was supposed to write in that class as I have in others…Like my Creative Nonfiction class…I still have dark memories of that class (not just because it was held in a corner classroom in the basement of the Social Science Building).
Anyway, all past frustrations aside, I think now that I have been at school for four years, I can work my way around writing in ways that certain professors want. I am no expert at it yet, but I think, and hope, that I am getting better. Or I have created a beautiful alternate reality for myself in which I am an amazing writer and can overcome whatever assignments come my way…riiiiiiiiiiight…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home