Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Flowchart Away!

Flowcharts. When I think of a flowchart, a picture of bubbles with other bubbles branching off come to mind, sine I have no clue how to do that on a computer I will list out the steps. Step 1. Upon entering the Writing Center I would cheerfully greet the student. Step 2. I would then ask the student how I could help them. After listening to their reply I would proceed to step 3. Step 3 would consist of using the Socratic Method to find out their personal information and log them into the computer. Step 4, by far the most important of the steps, I would ask the students to find a place at which they are comfortable sitting. In step 5 I would again utilize the Socratic Method to determine the assignment and the best way to go about working on the paper. Step 6 is the actual working over of the paper, whether grammatically, syntactically, topically, or constructionally, it does not matter. Step 7. I would ask the student if they had any questions or concerns. If the student did have questions I would proceed to step 7a, answering the questions and concerns to the best of my ability. If the student did not have any questions it would be straight to step 8. The final step, step 8, is to say goodbye and wish them luck in all their doings.

Bartholomae sure likes the word discourse. I have had to integrate myself into different educational discourses. The main one was the discourse of Weber State University. Every professor had their own way they wanted me to write, and I had mine. I had to learn quickly what each professor wanted from me, so I did not get awful grades. Frustrating would be a very good word to use to describe learning the new discourses. One week I would have a paper due on some random topic that I could care less about, which I would have to write to the best of my ability while trying to be creative and write the style my professor wanted. The next week in some other class I would have to do it all over again with a different professor. Both professors wanted it unique and to their specifications. The problem was that their specifications and what they would consider unique were not the same. Sometimes they were not even clear what they would consider unique and what their specifications were. Not only did I have to try to decipherer what the professor wanted in my writing, I had to do it twice, completely different each time. Fun.

At first I found Bartholomae’s ideas a little annoying, thinking he was on his high horse and did not care about teaching writing. After letting the article settle in and talking about in class has help me come to an understanding of why he said these ideas. It also helped me to sympathize with the students and their writing they bring in. Hopefully I will be able to apply it, and help the students cope. I still believe Bartholomae was preaching from his high horse though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home