Saturday, September 19, 2009

So I'm just going to assume that the flowcharsts and grammar counts as one blog

Flowcharts and grammar huh? This should prove to be a rather enjoyable blog. Seeing as this is somewhat of a duel portion blog I will devote my comments to each subject in this blog. Let’s start with the blog that was posted at the beginning of the week, grammar.

There are many parts of grammar that I find particularly tricky to navigate through, and the hardest one would have to depend on the student. When going through a paper with a LEAP student I find just about everything tricky. Prepositions are a nightmare and trying to explain tense can be a sticky situation. I seem to always get tongue tied as I try to explain why certain words should be in different forms. But, each time it gets a little easier which is nice. As they say, the more you do something the better you get at it.

When it comes to a native speaker, I think that active and passive voice is rather tough. Incidentally, I have to give a presentation on that very subject on Monday so hopefully after then it won’t be a problem! But trying to spot what voice is being used in a sentence can just baffle me! Sometimes it’s pretty clear and easy to tell, but other times it is hidden so well I have to bring out all the books and enlist the help of my fellow tutors.

Now to move on to the subject of flowcharts; a list of steps if you will. I’ll probably just lump the whole thing together in this paragraph. First, I would greet the student with a friendly smile and tell them my name and find out theirs. Following that I would gain an understanding of why they came into the tutoring center. Was it for an assignment? Did the student just want some extra help? After figuring out their purpose, I would ask about the assignment or their paper.

What is it about? What do they have to say about it? What concerns to they have. During this time I would try to set the stage for what is going to happen throughout the session. The tutee and I would discuss how the session is going to proceed. Should he read or should I? What are we going to look for and pay attention to? By having an understanding of how the session is going to go everything should work out pretty well in the end.

Of course, every session is different and the “chart” may have to take new shape with each student. But the principles are generally the same and can be followed in most cases. Another down side I have noticed is that sometimes I can just be forgetful as whatever the opposite of an elephant is. Sometimes I just forget to give the student a pen, or to ask them to read something. Hopefully that will happen less frequently as time goes on. I hope that after my days of training are over I’ll be able to not mess up as much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home