Friday, August 29, 2008

Thanks for the Advice

First I want to thank all of the former students of this class and former/current tutors who left advice for those of us starting this journey. I have enjoyed reading what was said about tutoring. We all know we should start out bibio papers soon, but none of us will so let’s just get that out of the way. (Except for maybe the graduate students because most of us have developed a nasty habit of getting our homework done early.) But I most enjoyed reading the positive comments about tutoring and what to look for when tutoring. It’s good to know this class will “pump us up like football players before a homecoming game” because I think some of us need that confidence. It’s also good to know we’re in good hands with Claire and Scott who can help us feel prepared for our first tutoring session. As I was reading I came across advice that said not to let students use Wikipedia as a source. That was a little bit of food for thought because Wikipedia is so new I would have never run across that as a problem in the past. I love that website but I’ll work hard to make sure the students coming in for help only use it as a jumping off point. I’m sure many students believe Wikipedia to be the gospel truth.

I am excited to be a tutor. I think there is quite a bit from tutoring that I can learn and I am excited to share my love of writing with those students who come in for help. While I have missed the last two classes the first day of class and orientation made me realize how much I have to learn about helping people in a way that will help them learn and become better writers without just editing and giving them the answer. The positive advice and feedback on this blog have really encouraged me as well. I feel a bit more confident having read some of the posts. One of the posts mentioned watching the other tutors and gaining ideas from those who have experience. I appreciated that piece of advice because I feel watching and observing will probably be the most valuable training I can receive. One post just stated, “Don’t be afraid to ask for help.” That post might be my favorite. It’s scary admitting you do not know everything when you are supposed to be the expert, but after that piece of advice I will try to avoid the “know-all” syndrome, move aside my fears, and ask for help when I stumble. I also really enjoyed the stories about the students who have appreciated the time we spend tutoring and the help we give. I think the appreciation will be what makes it worth it for me. One of the posts mentioned working with ESL students and how impressive their life stories are and how good it feels to know you helped them. It will be nice to have a job where I am helping others and where there is some appreciation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home