Friday, November 30, 2007

Time Capsule of Text

My advice to incoming tutors:

Don't stress it. Tutoring will seem frightening and terrifying at first, but it's not that bad. No one will punch you for failing to give them perfect coherent grammatical proof-reading for every single issue they may have. Don't feel afraid to ask for help from the other tutors or look something up. One of the big issues is to always remember that global issues (organization, "flow," etc.) are more important than local issues (comma usage, punctuation for MLA in-text citations, etc), because as easy as it seems to remember, it's cunningly easy to forget.

Also, enjoy the quiet time at the beginning of the semester, you'll earn your paycheck as you near the end.

Don't stress about the 20 minute rule. Even the best of us aren't 20 minutes exactly every single time.

Finally, jump on that Bibliographic Essay ASAP. It's easier to read one essay per week-end than ten the week-end before the due date. Space it out, give yourself time, but don't procrastinate, it'll just bite you in the end.

Where I was and Where I am:

I know how to explain grammar issues better and I know procedure better than I used to. I think I'm getting the hang of it. I feel good knowing where things are when students need help (for the most part, the APA/MLA books seem to avoid me whenever I need one). I feel good knowing that I've helped a tutee get what they need from a session. I've grown more confident about handling a tutoring session than I used to be, and I know how to handle things better (for the most part).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home