Friday, October 12, 2007

Here we go with the philosophical approach that can never end...First of all, I am so not converted to the “writing to somebody” argument. It may be out of sheer stubbornness, it may out of sheer denial, but I do not like the mental picture of me constantly forming a mental picture of someone while I write. This is actually ironic, since from my budding-poet high school years, I would constantly write about poetry having a voice, and people liking your poetry because the voice matched their own, and finding that one true voice that matched all the voices of the world. I am trying so hard to recognize a mental image of a reader even as I write this sentence, but nothing comes. I am intent on the words themselves.

Yet even now in the same movement, I am playing Devil’s Advocate in my mind. But why read, and re-read it, Rachel, unless you are revising it for someone else’s eyes? Is not the entire purpose of a language itself to communicate? Don’t you get the feeling like...Oh I don’t know...maybe you’re just WRONG?! And this is the argument where Devil’s Advocate Me is ignored without fail, and Devil’s Advocate Me nevertheless never fails to reach this argument, for some reason.

Maybe the people I’m imagining reading it are flashing through my mind too quickly, like newsreel mugshots spinning by, except they don’t have faces, or personalities...just quintessences of people. Aw, do I hafta be imaginin’ somebody? It’s just not an idea that tastes good to me...what to do...I can only be right by myself and outside of this blog. Curse you, St. Vincent! You are not making this blog any easier with your dynamic vocals, backgrounded with subtle orchestral music and uncanny, psychedelic-pop! I guess I could just close Windows Media Player. Or go to bed. Or both. How many words left to go? 223? Bring it.

So, I think people go through emotional development when posting with audience conscientiousness on a blog (we are for the sake of getting somewhere simple not going to argue the topic any longer). You start with this self-centered view that everyone is reading your blog, because a) it’s available to everyone, and b) you are obviously important. After finally grasping you don’t force gravity, you move on to the adult stage of apathy mixed in with responsible action. Write the blog, and write it well; don’t expect anyone to read it. Third stage; emotionally mature enough to simply not anticipate any impact on the world anymore. You get this sort of old-person surprise at someone actually unearthing your writing, and responding to it. This sometimes circles back to stage one of self-centered-ness. I’m sure I had a point that somehow connects to the original prompt...

BTW, Cameron, you realize by breaking the cardinal internet rule you are risking the wrath of the internet-zombie-ninjas? Just thought I’d warn you...I know people at the top...

2 Comments:

Blogger Q said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:40 AM  
Blogger Q said...

Edit: Can't edit my post for some reason. I blame you, Rachel, this is your fault somehow. *shakes fist*

Feh! Your internet-zombie-ninjas don't frighten me. I'll simply unleash my Space-Pirate-Ninja-Monkeys-with-Lazors-of-Death. They are so awesome, if you ever laid your eyes on one, your head would explode from the sheer awesomeness of it, that's how awesome they are, man, because they're just that awesome.

Don't deny it, you are stunned by the sheer awesomeness. It is the most awesome thing on teh innartubes.

And what fun is life if you don't commit a little mischief now and then.

12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home