Friday, September 09, 2005

Paper or Plastic?

I work at a grocery store as well as the Writing Center and there is a technique that I have learned that might be helpful with the apathy problem. (I really don't know if it will be or not, though.) At my other job, all types of people come it--- you couldn't imagine the weirdos, creeps and interesting people that come in, especially in the nights near midnight-ish. I'm a people-watcher so it is really is fun for me. But the trick is when I'm helping them, to sense their over-all personality, and it is done simply, by the way that they look or talk or even what expression they might convey. Some are regulars and they might recognize me, but even if they don't, it is critical that I try to find something about this person that I might be able to have in common with; this way, they can trust me with their groceries and allow me to do money transactions with them. I suppose other checkers don't find it so critical, but I like to serve happy customers. And I would like to help happy students!

So--- my technique is simple and I don't know if it will work while I am tutoring or not, I haven't tried it out yet--- and I don't know if it will work for others, but it only takes a second to look the person over, and decide how to approach them. Basically, I size up their attitude, and personality. It is kind of hard to explain, but somehow I decide the way to help customers know that I care and sincerely wish for them to have a nice day. Usually it is my voice, the tone in which I use to speak with them. And my tone varies depending on the type of person I am talking with.

I suppose that dealing with students who may not be particularly interested in what they are writing will be like this. I think that I will have to somehow show them that I care about what they are writing and hopefully my enthusiasm will rub off onto them. I will need to show them that I am a peer; I understand how stressful writing can be, and although less often for me than perhaps for the tuttee, I do sometimes don't feel like writing. It's a lot of work and it drains you. But the rewards and achievements are so numerous. I love the rush I get from finishing something witty that I wrote. (It's like on Lion King,”Mufasa! Mufasa! Say it again! It tingles!”)

I honestly do not think that apathy will be a problem for me--- hopefully. It really wasn't something that I had thought about. I guess my biggest worry about this topic is taking over the paper because I am really interested in it, even if the student isn't, and this is a big no-no! I shouldn't take over a session ever and as long as I am conscious of this no-no and I try to replace the apathy with at least tolerance if not the enthusiasm, then I think I should be fine. Maybe after words the tuttee will leave and be able to think, “you know this tutor kinda understands me and where I am coming from, and you know, she likes writing--- maybe I will too.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home