Monday, October 07, 2013

Why I Love Tutoring

I am currently working for Allstate as a "licensed sales associate," which is basically a fancy name for a salesperson. That's nothing to be ashamed of, so what's with the negative tone?! Well, I don't really like my job all that much. Don't get me wrong: my boss is awesome, my hours are flexible, the pay is good - so, what gives?

The thing I am most passionate about (as far as endeavors capable of making money goes) is English. I love reading and writing! Another thing I realized recently is that I love teaching. I think that's one of the reasons I was so happy as missionary: I got to watch people's eyes light up when something finally clicked. It's incredible to be a part of the process, invigorating, even. You walk away from that experience knowing that you've changed the way someone sees the world, and, by extension, changed a part of the world itself. It's a powerful feeling, and I'm surprised it took me so long to realize that's what I was missing when I came home.

So, why don't I like my job? I don't like my job because I don't feel passionate about insurance. I don't walk away from selling someone a policy or adding a car feeling like I've changed the world. I don't get to see the light in peoples' eyes when something clicks, I just hear the anger in their voice when their premium goes up. I don't like my job because it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life.

So it's my love of English and my love of teaching that have set me on the path to become an English teacher. And it was my feelings about my job that led me to seek work related to English. Through my endeavors, I was able to secure this  position as an English Tutor!It's a supplement to my current job, not a replacement, and I am loving every minute of it! I feel good about myself when someone comes in to get help with an essay, and walks away feeling they've improved as a writer. It feels good to be in my element, and to hear, as I did the second day I worked here "I liked working with you - what are your hours?" or "I can tell you've been doing this a long time."

I have taken a bite of the fruit teachers eat everyday as they enlighten the minds of their students, and I'm hungry for more. I am so grateful for the chance to work as an English tutor - not to mention the extra income it's providing for my family. I am more determined than ever to pursue a career as a teacher and a writer, and I look forward to changing the world - one student at a time.


- Sam Bartholomew

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home