Saturday, October 27, 2012

Pleasant With a 70% Chance of Homework


My semester is going remarkably well. This is the first time I have had to balance school and work. It’s important for me to keep busy. The last job I had was over a year ago, and while this is not quite as exciting, I am really enjoying the work. I suppose that there are some similarities between wrangling 15 five-year old and tutoring college papers. For example, you have to be very careful what you say to both parties, or else they are likely to start crying on you. And after you have survived the massive tantrums of some of New York’s richest children, college students don’t really scare you anymore.

I must say that my classes have all been harder than in the past. I did not expect Linguistics to be the love child of math and a crossword puzzle, and I did not realize that Marxism was also a field of literary criticism, but these are all reasons why I enjoy learning so much. It is difficult and, after a lot of work, it is rewarding. I’m getting into more upper division classes related to my major and away from a lot of the generals that I have been spending a lot of time taking. I think that I have one or two more odd classes to get out of the way before all of my generals are taken care of, but this semester is mostly dedicated to getting into classes that are more relevant to my major.

This is the first semester where I really feel like I am a part of the college that I go to. I feel that Weber State can be a difficult place to feel involved and connected, but for the first time I feel like I’m surrounded by the right people. What a luxury it is to enjoy the people that you work and study with. I’m very blessed and very grateful. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home