Sunday, September 09, 2012

So Anxious I Forgot a Title

Before I began the tutor program, I more or less felt like this:


However, the training sessions and observations, and the structure of the program itself, assuaged most of the anxiety I felt concerning tutoring. The only general fears that remain are concerns that I might provide incorrect information or somehow fail to spot a critical issue with a paper. The last thing I want to do is send a student away thinking they have a solid paper, only to receive a poor grade from the instructor.

Besides that, I am worried about tutoring ESL students. It's not that I don't think I can spot or correct their errors, but that's not my job as a tutor. As one of my observations already demonstrated, helping ESL students learn why something is wrong requires a higher level of technical language than that used to tutor native English speakers. I'm worried about fixing the grammar errors without helping the student learn how to avoid making them in the future.

I know that with further training and experience, I will overcome these anxieties. And if I get into a tough situation, I have an added measure of confidence afforded by the presence of senior tutors willing to help me navigate through the difficult spots.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home