Friday, September 09, 2011

Now I Know How Much I Don't Know

Thanks to this week's prompt, I'm mortified to announce how little I actually know compared to most of my new colleagues. As far as formatting and grammatical fine points, it's embarrassing to see how rusty I've become. I've lost a little sleep worrying that these insecurities on my part will bleed through into my sessions, but I've been encouraged by the first few, which have gone surprisingly smoothly.

I've learned the importance of pacing sessions. In my case, I need to pace them a little slower. It's in my nature to speed things up when I'm nervous, which I definitely was during these first weeks. I found myself catching up to the students after the session had ended while they were rewriting their paper to tell them something I'd forgotten to mention while we were reviewing their work, initially.

The most important thing that I've learned is how unnecessary most of my fears about this new job were. None of the students that I've tutored have been terrors to work with or demanded more of me than I could give and I couldn't ask for better co-workers, so I'm much more at ease about my future as a tutor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home