Thursday, September 08, 2011

New Knowledge

I'm not sure how much I've learned from tutoring that I didn't know before. I had an idea of what to expect from friends who are teaching freshmen English at other universities, so I've seen examples of inexperienced student writings. I have not had any reluctant tutees so far which is contrary to my expectations. The students that I've worked with and observed others working with have been open to receiving help on their papers and often pick up a pattern of errors and begin correcting them before the tutor points them out.

The information we've received in class has been the most interesting. Specifically the idea that the way we construct our arguments is cultural to some extent. The negotiating of middle eastern students and the attitude of asian student to receiving information from a teacher have explained much about the way people from those areas write. I look forward to learning more about how students write and why they write in that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home