Tuesday, October 31, 2006

It's all about the walls

I'm of the opinion that people choose whether or not they will be offended. Although some subjects more easily lead someone to take offense than others do. As writing tutors, it's not our place to judge the content of a paper, although we may not agree with it. Our only issues should be whether or not the paper works or sticks with the assignment. If an essay is so entrenched on one side of the issue that it doesn't argue the point effectively, we can address that.

All this is great to discuss from a hypothetical standpoint, but I don't know how I would react if a paper really pushed my buttons. Thankfully, I haven't had this experience yet. Surely, if a student came in with a paper defending rapists or child molestors, I'd have an issue with it. I liked Dr. Rogers suggestions of changing the focus of the paper slightly. However, I don't think it would be inappropriate to end a session if the tutor is feeling especially uncomfortable. In that instance, the benefit of the session would be minimal, and it would be fruitless to continue. As a rule, though, I think it's a good idea for tutors to take down the walls in their minds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home