Saturday, October 14, 2006

A Few Thoughts, and a Happy Friday the 13th story!

Oh boy! I really haven’t been thinking about what to write for my bibliographic essay. I just learned what it was all about from the link that Dr. Rogers posted. I guess the essays that intrigue me are Harris’ “Engaging Reluctant Writers,” and Bartholomae’s “Inventing the University.”

I like Harris because I really want to understand why some students do not participate in a session. It blows my mind that a student will come in (or even if they come in because they are forced to) and not engage in a session, which will surely benefit them in one way or another if they do. Why would you do that! I also want to read more about the ways a tutor can say no to a student who wants the tutor to do the work for them. I’ve been the victim of this several times, and somehow I continue to cross that line. I think, “Oh, this student needs a lot of help and they aren’t saying anything. I guess I better show them how to do it.” I know better, too. So, that subject would be interesting.

Bartholomae peaks my interest because I have had lower division English students who try to use graduate level language, and their message comes out all twisted up. I remember when I was beginning English 2010 and I tried to do this same thing. Then I realized that I would receive better grades on my papers if I wrote straightforward instead of trying to flower my words up. Wow, this topic is really interesting. I want to find some essays about the psychology of why students write bigger than they can and the consequences it creates in the university. Nifty, eh? I can also connect it to Young's ideas on students making mistakes as their writing level grows.

Okay, I am trying to avoid some homework in one of my classes, so I thought I would tell you all a story about how Twix (the candy bar) was invented. Here goes.

One Friday the 13th night (ooh) there was an old man with a speech impediment, named Mr. Sylvester, resting at home. Now, on that very same night there was a bunch of little rascals running around the neighborhood. Impulsively, the little rascals-or as we like to call “children”- covered Mr. Sylvester’s doorknob with cookie crumbs and caramel, and then rang his doorbell. It just so happened that at that same moment Mr. Sylvester’s hand was covered in melted chocolate (it was melted because he had no air conditioning in his house). Mr. Sylvester opened his door, saw the mess on his hand and doorknob, and exclaimed, “Oh those kids and their little twix!”

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks for the story. That was funny!

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home