Thursday, December 08, 2005

A Last and, oh yeah . . .Some Broken Rules

Well, I've thrilled to be able to say: we've made it! I don't know if all of you experience this at the end of a hard fought battle with a paper; that great release in casting it into the Professors hands as if giving away a hideous disease or a revolting insect of some kind. It's almost like saying to the world: hey! It's your problem now. It's out of my hands now. Anyway, it felt great to be done with that paper to say the least.

Now to get to business: breaking rules. A skill I'm far too familiar with. For me--someone who is very obsessive--going off the broken path comes with some stress and dilema for me. It was ironic, however, that we should talk about this topic today, because I found myself being both more aware of the rules I was breaking and also being more willing to break them.

This afternoon, I met with a fellow who requested help in generating ideas for a major paper that is due tomorrow (I definitely know what he's doing right now. Well, at least what he ought to be doing.). Try as I might, he kept telling me that, in so many words, he couldn't write, and he had a block on his thoughts that kept him from generating good ideas. I got quite frustrated with him because I kept telling him to not worry about the fine tuning aspects of revision right then, but that he should just focus on producing material that could be revised.

Well, after a half hour of this I decided I needed to push him along by making a bit of an outline for him. Of course, the moment I started making it for him--even for as simple of one has I drew up for him--sirens were going off all over the place. Well, I ended up only writing three words for him and out of that came an hour long discussion of ways of developing the paper. All because of those three words.

And I don't know for sure if I was really helpful for the poor fellow, but I felt good about the session. And just as this illustrates an instance in which breaking a rule paid great dividends, I'm sure all of you have had similar rewarding experiences.

This has been a challenging semester in a number of ways. I've had to work very hard to keep my grades up, to get paper written, and reading assignments read, but I will be forever changed in wonderful ways, by the great experiences I've had with each of you. You are all such exceptionally talented, bright, and kind individuals. I feel truly honored to have this opportunity to associate with you and blessed to call you friends. I look forward to many more positive experiences with you in future semesters. Good luck, my friends, with everything, and Happy Holidays!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home