Thursday, December 08, 2005

No kidding--- You say I got talent?

In all honesty, I didn't think that I would get this job. I mean--- I really, really wanted it, but I didn't think I was talented enough. The interview process didn't go as nicely as I thought that it would. I thought that I bombed it, but I guess I didn't because here I am. It took a long time to hear back that the Writing Center. (But anything you are really waiting for can seem like a LONG time, even if it is just a couple minutes waiting in line.) I thought that maybe they decided they didn't want to hire me and was thinking up the best way possible to let me down. My brother-in-law and I even talked about ways I could approach the Writing Center and ask what I did poorly in the interview and ask what I could do better for future job interviews. Luckily, I didn't have to go and ask why I didn't qualify. Although, sometimes I think, especially in hard sessions, that the Writing Center hired the wrong person. Maybe they got me mixed up with the other blonde giggly girl who applied.

I can't really remember what I was thinking when I applied for the job, except that I knew that I needed to apply. It just seemed right. It made sense.

My best friend told me that I would make a fun writing tutor when we saw a flier advertising to be a tutor in the SS building together. I laughed and then applied even though I didn't expect to make it. Sometimes I set my heart on things I want to do and just get disapointed because my talents fall short from what is needed. ---Like when I tried out for a special choir, or ran for studen body office in high school or applied for finacial aide... or when I took the English AP test--- all of which I tried my hardest, and put my heart and soul into, but didn't make it.

I don't know if my best friend was right by saying that I would make a fun tutor--- I don't know if I am fun, but I have a great time tutoring. I love it. I didn't realize how much I would like it. I mean, some days are better than others; it isn't peachy pie everyday, but it's those good sessions that I know I helped someone improve their writing, at least a little bit, that makes me want to come back for more.

Maybe they didn't hire the wrong person. Maybe Claire and Dr. Rogers saw through my nervousness at the interview and could see the love I have for writing in my eyes. If they didn't see my talent, maybe they at leas saw my potential. Either way, I got the job I wanted and I love it. Everyone is so great!--- the tutees, the other tutors, Clarie, Dr. Rogers... Everyone is awesome! I didn't know someone could make so many friends so fast. I am gonna miss everyone and tutoring over the holiday break.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now now, I thought we settled this.

3:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say! If I am Gregory to you then you are Kate to me.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Kassie said...

Eh? "What's with the chimp and the bug?---Can we get back to ME?" (lol) I'm just kidding. You don't have to talk about me on my blog comment if you don't wanna.

You guys make me laugh! Ha! Ha! :)

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry. We could talk about how you don't mind me calling you Kass.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Kassie said...

(shrug) Which would you rather be, Katie? --lol-- I guess you could be the "scary tree" that might attack me. But maybe not, because then I would be scared. I wouldn't want to be scared of you: you're too fun!

You know Gregory...that is funny how you call me Kass. (shrug)---heh! heh! I called you Gregory, too. That was fun.

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home